What does it check?
This check establishes if an individual has a criminal record.
This check provides what is referred to as a Police Clearance Certificate.
The information contained in a Police Clearance Certificate may include the following:
• Name of applicant
• Nature of offence (if applicable)
• Results of the check (if applicable)
The following categories for conviction exist in Sri Lanka:
• Violence against the person
• Sexual offences
• Theft and handling of stolen goods
• Fraud and forgery
• Criminal damage
• Drug offences
• Motoring offences
• Possession of explosives, automatic weapons and firearms
It is possible for criminal convictions to be removed from an individual’s police record if the individual has not re-offended for the duration of a suspended sentence. Records are retained for a period of
up to 10 years.