What are Digital Identity Checks?
Digital Identity Checks are the new government-approved method to digitally verify the identity of individuals applying for a job or renting a property in the UK.
When you verify your applicants’ identities digitally, you no longer need to meet them in person or check and copy their original identification documents.
What can Digital Identity Checks be used for?
Digital Identity Checks can be used for:
- Right to Work
- Right to Rent
- Disclosure Scotland*
What are the benefits of using Digital Identity Checks?
Digital Identity Checks:
- Save your organisation time and money by reducing time-to-hire and significantly decreasing the use of internal resources.
- Make it easier for employers to meet their legal obligations. Employers have a legal duty to check their employees’ identities in order to ensure they have the right to work in the UK and as part of the process of applying for criminal record disclosure certificates.
- Reduce the risk of fraud. It’s much more difficult to use a fake identity in a digital identity check than it is in person.
- More convenient for the candidates especially those working remotely from home.
Why all the buzz about Digital Identity Checks now?
During the pandemic, the government introduced temporary measures to allow employers to check their candidates’ identities remotely by video using copies of documents rather than originals. The temporary measures will ended on 30th September 2022.
From 1st October 2022, if employers carry out checks by video call, they need to be in possession of the candidate’s original documents. Inspection of faxed or scanned copy documents via a video call is not allowed from 1st October.
Alternatively, you can opt to use a service such as Verifile’s Digital Identity Check Platform, that manages the whole process on your behalf.
Trust Verifile to manage your Digital Identity Checks
- Release HR to focus on core tasks rather than checking identity documents face-to-face or by video call.
- Get peace of mind you’re meeting your legal obligations and reducing the risk of identity fraud.
- Certified solution powered by Yoti and Post Office EasyID.
How does the Verifile service work?
Step 1. The candidate uses the camera, and where possible the chip reader, on the candidate’s digital device such as a smartphone to carry out security checks on their identity documents.
Step 2. The applicant then takes a selfie and this likeness is digitally compared to the photo on the identity document.
Step 3. The checks take a couple of minutes and the result is available immediately. We notify the employer automatically once the process is complete.